Skip to content


February 1, 2011

We’re still trying to get our family back into the working-mother groove.  It’s a challenge, particularly because the Peanut’s schedule is constantly changing. Not to mention the weekly snowstorms that close school and force me to work at home on extra days.  It’s a blessing to have that flexibility, for sure, but it is a disruption.

The Peep seems to have only recently realized that this whole Mommy-going-to-work thing isn’t temporary; on Friday I got a sobbing phone call “Mama, can you just come home now?  I really miss you.”  And then on Sunday, about to walk out the door to a playdate with his cousins, more tears “I don’t wanna go!!!  I’ll miss you too much!”

Just what I need to hear, when battling the twin demons of guilt and withdrawal.

But for the record, here’s a typical weekday in our house:

  • Between 4-5am:  The Peanut wakes up hungry, and I nurse him.  Then we both doze off again.
  • 6:15: Larry’s alarm goes off, and continues to beep every 9 minutes; Larry sleeps on.
  • 6:30:  I get into the shower.   <Sometimes the Peanut wants another bottle around this time, administered by Larry>
  • The Peep wakes up sometime between 6:30 and 7:15, depending on how noisy the rest of us are.
  • 7: Larry gets up, brings up the morning drinks (coffee for him and me, juice for the Peep); I get dressed and do the makeup thing.
  • 7:30: Larry heads for the bus stop.  Often the Peanut has fallen back to sleep by now.  Negotiations about getting dressed begin with the Peep.
  • 8:10: My mother arrives, and the boys and I head downstairs.   I make the Peep’s breakfast, then run back upstairs to dry my hair.
  • 8:20: Pack my lunch and the Peep’s lunchbox.  Take meat for dinner out of the freezer to thaw.
  • 8:45: Get into the car and drive the Peep to school. This is our special time together.
  • 9: Walk the Peep to his classroom, then back to the car and head to work.

Which all seems pretty hectic, but it’s actually not that bad; there’s very little scrambling in the morning.

Especially compared to the evening routine…

  • 5pm:  Larry leaves work and begins to make his way home via public transportation.
  • 5:30: I leave work and head home.
  • 6-6:15:  We get home and start dinner.
  • 6:30-7: Dinner.
  • 7-8: Baths, pajamas, and family lounge time in my room.
  • 8: The Peep’s bedtime.  This is his special time with Larry.
  • 8-10: Somewhere in here I nurse the Peanut for bedtime.  Sometimes he needs a bottle afterwards, sometimes not.  Once he’s asleep my time is my own.  Unfortunately by this point I’m completely knackered; sometimes I’ll read, knit or watch tv for a bit, but usually I’m dead to the world by 10:30.

The Peanut usually wakes up between 12 and 2; lately he hasn’t wanted a bottle (thank goodness), but he wants to be cuddled back to sleep.  I usually bring him into our bed at that point.  Before you criticize that, please take a look at the time my day begins…

I’m hoping this will give some insight to how busy I am these days, and explain why I’m turning down a lot of invitations these days – by the time we actually have some downtime, the last thing I want to do is pack the kids up and head out again.

It also explains why there’s not much knitting going on, and certainly no large-scale projects for a while, I don’t think.  I do have a couple small projects to share, as soon as I get some photos.  Which probably won’t happen until it stops snowing.

If it ever does…it’s snowing now (Tuesday morning), and is supposed to continue until sometime THURSDAY.




No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: