Skip to content


October 20, 2009

Sadly, my camera cannot be fixed.  A new replacement has been ordered and will arrive on my birthday.

Luckily, I was able to get the images off the memory card.  Unfortunately, they aren’t great, nor are the indicative of the Rhinebeck experience.

For good representative photos, you can visit the blogs of Emilee, Norma, the Twist Collective…and there will likely many others.  In short, anyone besides me.  Chalk it up to first-time jitters, or just sensory overload…or the fact that the camera was quickly buried under yarny goodness.

We drove out Friday night, and the trip was uneventful.  We checked into the hotel in Kingston around 7:30, and then set about finding somewhere to eat dinner.  A few minutes’ drive made us very nervous – the roads didn’t have streetlights, or any sort of discernible layout – but we eventually stumbled upon the town square, and a wonderfully cozy little restaurant, where the pizza was fantastic and the wine flowed like, well, wine.

We’d planned to pick up a bottle of wine for the room, but the liquor stores were all closed by the time we got out of the restaurant, so we settled for a few tallboys.

We totally lucked out, weather-wise; the forecast had called for rain, freezing rain, and snow.  Although it was probably in the 40’s, it was dry, with even some watery sunshine at times.

We had a quick breakfast at a local bagel joint, and then hopped on the highway to Rhinebeck.  We sat in a bit of fair-related traffic, but we knew we were headed in the right direction.


We got through the turnstiles around 11, and were bombarded with yarny goodness of all shapes, sizes, colors, and textures.

And then there was the food.  The chicken pot pie and baked potato/sweet potato stand looked enticing, but the lines were outrageous.  Ditto for the grill stand.  And the line for the restrooms.  At the end we had a scratch lunch (fried dough for me, kettle corn for V, and a milkshake for CC), which held us over.

My bags were full by 2:30, and the weather was getting nippy, so it was time to hit the road.

The only booth I was unable to get into was Brooks Farm.  Which is a bummer, since they only sell at fairs and online, and I wanted to see their stuff up close and in person.  I was able to see and touch the skeins that they had hanging outside their booth, but literally could not get into the booth the see the full selection.  Literally.  It was shoulder to shoulder the whole way through.

Nonetheless, I was able to rise above, and made quite a respectable haul.

(All of these photos are the same yarn, one taken with my old camera with flash and one taken with Larry’s camera in daylight)



Green Mountain Spinnery, ‘Yarn Over’



Briar Rose Fibers, ‘Grandmothers Blessing’



Briar Rose Fibers, ‘Angel Face’



Bijou Basin, 75% Merino/25% yak (top), and 100% yak (bottom)

Next year I won’t be so starry-eyed, and will remember to take some pictures.

And I’ll bring a bigger bag!

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: